Much of what we see in media today perpetuates a deep demonic lie – that the dark side of the spirit world contains a good side. This doctrine of demons is clearly designed to deceive people into believing that there is something good in the realm of evil. This is precisely the deception perpetrated in the Star Wars science fiction series.
But the Bible strongly disagrees. As Christians we must decide once and for all whether we agree with what the Bible teaches, or whether we too perpetuate the lies of the enemy by indulging our flesh in the sinister world of the occult – or what the Bible describes as “the unfruitful works of darkness.”
“And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them.” (Ephesians 5:11) NKJV
Let’s consider the context of this passage:
“6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. 7 Therefore do not be partakers with them. 8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light 9 (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth), 10 finding out what is acceptable to the Lord. 11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret. 13 But all things that are exposed are made manifest by the light, for whatever makes manifest is light. 14 Therefore He says:
“Awake, you who sleep,
Arise from the dead,
And Christ will give you light.”
15 See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, 16 redeeming the time, because the days are evil.” (Ephesians 5:6-15) NKJV
From this passage of Scripture we learn the following:
- The wrath of God comes upon those who are disobedient to His divine laws and truth (v 6)
- As children of the Light (i.e. Christians), we are not to partake of anything that is contrary to the Word and will of God (v 7)
- The reason is that we too were once children of darkness (before we came into a dynamic relationship with the living God and Jesus Christ), but now we are children of Light in the Lord – and should therefore live accordingly. Therefore, we are not to participate in anything that encourages or demonstrates spiritual darkness to those around us, but rather the life of the kingdom of God and His spiritual Light. (v 8,9)
- We must make it our business to discover what is good and acceptable to the Lord, so that we can please God and live as children of Light. (v 10). Unfortunately many Christians today adopt a strategy of trying to find tenuous reasons why it is acceptable for them to flirt with the world and the realm of spiritual darkness and evil, rather than to demonstrate God’s light to the world around them.
- Rather than participating (having fellowship) in these unfruitful works of darkness, we are to expose them for what they are – evil and good for nothing (v 11). But there is also another extremely important Biblical principle to be considered in this context. The Bible states that two (people) cannot walk together unless they are in agreement. By participating in things we as the children of God know to be wrong, we have come into agreement with Satan – whether we like it or not. Rather than living as ambassadors for the Kingdom of Light, we inadvertently become ambassadors for Satan’s kingdom of darkness. Consider the implications of this! If we are involved in something that leads other astray, and into spiritual darkness, we will have to account to God for this.
- Satan’s kingdom and his domain is shameful and certainly not something we should be proud of. In most cases those who participate in shameful practices, do so in secret (because sub-consciously we all know when we are involved in something that is wrong.) This is exactly why Adam and Eve hid their nakedness from God. Shame and guilt came upon them when they sinned. Sin causes a separation between us and God. (v 12)
- Light exposes darkness. Light and darkness cannot exist in the same place at the same time. The Light of God’s kingdom is designed to displace spiritual darkness. We can visualize this concept by thinking of a light bulb being switched on in a dark room, and the light then illuminating (or displacing) the darkness in the room. Once that happens, we are able to “see” , whereas before, we could not see what was in the darkened room. (v 13) This is precisely what happens when we encounter God and His Truth. God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. In God’s kingdom, darkness and light cannot co-exist; they are mutually exclusive and hostile to one another. But many Christians today seem happy to exist in a parallel universe; a mixture of darkness and light, and then wonder why their lives are messed up and why their Christian life is no joy or blessing to them either. This is not surprising because the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. There are always consequences for disobedience to God and the wages of sin applies to everyone. Remember too that God disciplines those whom he loves.
We are not to diminish the Grace and Mercy of God
As children of Light, we are not in any way to cheapen God’s free gift of salvation, His grace, mercy or love for us. We are not to take his mercy and kindness for granted, or live careless lives. We are surrounded by what Paul describes as a “cloud of witnesses” in our daily life – people who secretly observe our lifestyles to see whether or not we practice what we preach. How then can we as Christians be salt and light to the children of spiritual darkness if we are so quick to compromise with Satan’s kingdom of darkness? It is probably because we are still indulging our sinful nature, demonstrating that we have not yet died to self and to sin, and that we are still slaves to it.
But there is more to it. According to the Bible, humanity is at war. We are at war with the dark side of the spirit world. We have an enemy and his name is Satan. He comes to kill, to steal and to destroy. He is a liar and a thief and there is nothing good, virtuous, or pure in him. He wars against God, His Word, His laws, against truth, against the people of God (the saints), and even against those who are not Christians. He wants to destroy everyone and everything that is created in the image of God our Creator. The Bible describes Satan as being like a lion who constantly prowls around looking for his next unwary victim so that he can destroy them. But any predator disguises it’s true intentions. A predator disguises itself in order to fool it’s prey. Satan does this by transforming himself into an angel of light.
Satan Transforms himself into an Angel of Light
But what is an angel of light? It is anything that promotes itself as harmless, good, virtuous, desirable or beneficial, when it is exactly the opposite. Drugs and alcohol are a good example of this principle in action. I am convinced that many people who are today drug addicts or alcoholics, did not wake up one morning deciding to become addicts. The addiction is the fruit or inevitable outcome of what the Bible calls the wages of sin, or the price we pay for engaging with things that are harmful and dangerous. But there is always a perceived benefit that ultimately lures the unwary victim of deception, deeper and deeper into Satan’s lair. There could be many perceived benefits such as escapism, entertainment, feeling accepted by those in our group, feelings of “freedom”, casual sex, drunkenness etc. The Bible says that sin is indeed pleasurable for a short while, but it always has a sting in the tail. The consequences of sin can be extremely harmful.
Every man, woman and child on the planet is involved in the greatest battle the world has ever seen. It is not physical but spiritual. And the only way we can protect ourselves from it is by using what the Bible describes as “the full armor of God”. The book of Ephesians reveals that we are not fighting against flesh and blood (i.e. other people), but against very powerful spiritual forces, and that only spiritual weapons are effective in countering the attacks of our unseen enemy. No amount of positive thinking, secular humanism, psychology, therapy, counselling or medication can cope with spiritual wounds inflicted by the enemy of our souls.
Put on the whole Armor of God
“10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.”
14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; 18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints— 19 and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak. (Ephesians 6:10-20) NKJV
There is no good side of the dark side of Satan’s kingdom
I’m going to illustrate how Satan deceives people into believing lies. Let’s consider this illustration:
In Diagram 1 we see a simplistic representation of the spirit world as explained in the Bible. In broad terms, there is one spiritual domain which consists of two aspects, good and evil. In Galatians 5:22-23 we see some of the characteristics of God’s Kingdom of Light:
“22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.”
In 2 Peter 1:5-7 we read:
“5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love.”
In 1 John 4:7-11 we discover that God is love:
“7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8 He who does not love does not know God, for God is love. 9 In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. 10 In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.”
The Kingdom of God is a Kingdom of Spiritual Light and Love. By contrast, Satan’s kingdom of darkness is a kingdom of hatred, lies, deception, evil, hatred, impurity, lust, murder and hatred.
In Diagram 2, I illustrate how Satan deceives people into believing a lie – i.e. that the kingdom of darkness consists of a good and an evil side. This deception is designed to distract people and to divert them away from God’s kingdom of Light.
In Diagram 3, we are then left with the doctrine of demons which teaches that the spirit world is a neutral force (Star Wars), and that it can be used either for good or evil. But that is no different to claiming that lethal poison can be used to heal someone or kill them. This lie is designed to completely obscure God’s Kingdom of Light and to to divert attention away from it. It also seeks to legitimize the world of the occult and all evil, claiming that there is good and bad in it, or that evil and good co-exist in balance (Yin Yang).
Make no mistake, God’s Word is true and every man a liar. We cannot ignore the warnings of the Bible, thinking that we are immune to the deceptive strategies of Satan, or to his attacks against us. If as a Christian you have slipped into a lifestyle that does not honor God, pray for forgiveness today, and make a decision to return the Lord with your whole heart, soul and mind. Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, obey Him and His Word. If you do, you will see fruits of righteousness manifesting in your life, and that will glorify God.